Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stalemate averted.

O.K. This cancer thing really stinks and it's easy to forget that God has this whole thing. But He reminds me, us in such subtle ways which if we're looking for them give us so much joy. Here it is for today.

Talking with my mother-in-law, a nurse, this morning only made me more fearful, at first. Then miraculously and I do mean miraculously, she broached the religious aspect of this situation and the situation with Brian's renal cell experience. I prayed that the Holy Spirit come upon our time together shortly into our medical conversation as I got overwhelmed. I kept on asking for His guidance as I saw the tide turn into the uncharted waters of theology. I know I can't convince her of anything, but I know she needs the Lord's love and comfort especially now and I so want that for her.

She's very medical and scientific and wants answers, to understand, to make the world make sense. She consults her multitudinous trusted physician friends, who give her articles, and she gets more confused. But this world can't make sense or rather there is no order in the chaos, unless you see God working in it, not as humans think He should, but as He does. This would be where our conversations usually end up- a stalemate.

I can't relate the conversation not because of privacy reasons, but because I don't remember most of the words, just the look in her eyes and an openness experienced which we've rarely shared before and definitely never on this topic. When I don't remember what we've said, but I know in my being something has happened, that's the Holy Spirit at work, not me.

We had a conversation that I think did something. I won't say she's calling the priest at her best friend's parish to join RCIA, but just maybe she'll feel a little freer to discuss these things from now on at least with God. Something has shifted if even ever so slightly.

I know it was one of the beautiful moments of this event and no matter what happens, it was a graced opportunity. Wow.

No comments: