Friday, December 08, 2006

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole

My sister has been asking for this recipe for the past week. Check the previous post ; )
So here is the listing based on a recipe submitted by Helen Reynolds found in Vegetables section of the Chartiers-Houston Community Library Cook Book of 1990, Houston Pennsylvania. You won't believe what's in the Miscellaneous section!

(I of course have made some changes, starting with the title.)

Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
1 regular sized bag frozen broccoli crowns
1 cup "Minute" rice or other rice (but why take the time?)
1 cup minced to chopped onion (two words - 1. food 2. processor)
2 regular cans cream of mushrooms (not the hugemongous family sized things)
1 jar of "Cheez Whiz" (you can use the lower fat too, but seriously why?)
Colby jack shredded cheese for topping

Cook the rice, place in large bowl-enough to mix all the above ingredients. Saute the onion in a couple of tablespoons of butter. Mix the rice, Cheez Whiz, mushroom soup, onions and broccoli together and put into a sprayed 9 x13 casserole. Scatter the shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes or until it's all bubbly and goldenesque on the top. Let cool slightly before serving.

(It's always better the next day - so says my husband.)

***My version is a doubled version of the first, and it's gotta look and feel right. As you might have guessed, I'm not much into recipes, so best if you come by my house and watch me make it, then try it at your house!

The original recipe also calls for 1 cup chopped celery, one stick margarine into the mix, and slivered almonds on the top with the cheese, but I don't remember Jeff's Auntie Ann putting that stuff in, so I don't either, but if you want to, go right ahead.

2 comments:

Bego said...

anything with cheez whiz has got to be good.

and bad for you. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. But then, so does all non-dining hall food at this point.

P.S. I created my blog because you nagged me into it ("Laura, I have no clue what's going on in your life!! Why don't you keep a blog??"). I'm just saying. And no, all the other important things going on in your life don't count as excuses. I love you, can't wait to see you Sunday!